Steering wheel wobble

Hi I have a 99 plate 2.0l z3 which has an intermittent steering wheel wobble which is violent at times when the car warms up it the wobble goes
Any thoughts

Alan Slade

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2 Litre
I think it’s a front calliper because it happened to me. I thought I had lost a balancing weight at first. I stopped and found a wheel was hot through the brake rubbing. The calliper was partially seized and not releasing properly.

I think it’s a front calliper because it happened to me. I thought I had lost a balancing weight at first. I stopped and found a wheel was hot through the brake rubbing. The calliper was partially seized and not releasing properly.
The bit I don’t understand is it goes when the car is hot ?

colb

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
Given whats listed on the advisories it appears the front suspension needs a refresh with shocks and ball joints and bushes, the wear on these items could well be the source of the wobble you get.

I thought that but my garage said if it was the advisories it would happened all the time which makes me think it could be the caliper
Thanks for your help

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Hi and :welcome: from me too in Stafford. I agree with the sticking calliper diagnosis, it's a fairly common problem. I've also had the problem and new front callipers are not expensive. Good luck.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
An easy test is, after a run out put your hand close to the front wheels. DO NOT touch the wheel itself. If one is hotter than the other that would show a sticking calliper. HTH.

Give the car a run no problem until I started to break from 70mph and it started to wobble I pulled over and the nsf wheel was a lot hotter than the others so I have ordered a new calliper thanks for the tip I will keep you updated

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Give the car a run no problem until I started to break from 70mph and it started to wobble I pulled over and the nsf wheel was a lot hotter than the others so I have ordered a new calliper thanks for the tip I will keep you updated
Good news, pleased my tip worked for you:thumbsup: